Make an Impact
Three great ways to connect to Jewish Pittsburgh.
Strengthening Jewish life. Supporting those in need. Building a safer, more inclusive world. These three areas present nearly endless opportunities to get involved, meet people and make a difference in the lives of your friends, neighbors and people around the world. Check out some of the ways you can get involved:
Strengthening Jewish life
We connect people to Jewish life in ways that they find meaningful. From day schools to retirement homes and from community centers to synagogues, we support a wide range of programs and institutions for people at all life stages that together create a more vibrant and resilient Jewish community in greater Pittsburgh.
- Learn: Jewish Pittsburgh offers many different ways to learn for people of all ages. Take classes with Federation Scholar Rabbi Danny Schiff. Introduce your kids or grandkids to Jewish values through Federation-funded PJ Library. Learn about the Holocaust. Explore the history of Jewish Pittsburgh and more.
- Connect: Whether you're looking for social events or new friends in Israel and Warsaw, Poland, Jewish Federation has you covered. Find a Shabbat dinner with a new group. If you're new to Pittsburgh, get a personal introduction. Whatever you're seeking, we have a way to connect you.
- Volunteer: Looking for a rewarding activity? Try volunteering with one of many Jewish agencies or synagogues here. Or build the future by joining a Federation committee.
- Lead: New to Jewish leadership? Try a leadership training program. Participate in a micro-grants giving circle. Or check back as we form the new Buncher Institute for Leadership Development (BuILD).
Supporting those in need
We take care of community members experiencing hardship, and adapt to meet ever-changing needs so that each person can live with dignity. In times of crisis, we quickly send help where it’s most needed.
We provide funding, planning and leadership development to address a wide range of needs throughout people’s lives including food and financial insecurity, mental health, and support for people with disabilities, here and around the world.
- Give: As the central funder of Jewish life, we offer a variety of ways to support causes you care about while minimizing your tax burden. Your private giving will leverage corporate, foundation and government dollars to multiply your impact many times over.
- Learn: Read about the good that Jewish agencies are doing in Pittsburgh and around the world thanks to your support of the Jewish Federation.
- Get help: From grants to emergency resources to training, you can get the help you need or help others. We offer a variety of scholarships and support financial resources for many different needs.
Building a safer, more inclusive world
We lead and support efforts that advance a more just, secure and inclusive society, where we accept everyone regardless of their backgrounds, beliefs or identity; where we work together against antisemitism, hate and discrimination.
Through our work on security, advocacy, outreach and programming, we’re building a diverse, equitable community.
- Advocate: By working with friends and allies in other faith-based communities and minority groups through Jewish Federation, you can advocate with elected officials and government representatives to make the world a better place for everyone.
- Enhance safety: Keeping Jewish Pittsburgh safe requires everyone's help. Report antisemitic incidents and get training for yourself and your organization through Federation's Jewish Community Security team.